2018 gave us ‘Juliet Naked’ and ‘Normandy Nude’, but by far and away the best ride we’ve had for many a year in a cinema house was ‘Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri’. It tops the list down below and deserved all the gongs garnered during the award season earlier in the twelve months just past. It was perfect in every way, from its casting to its over the top blaspheming. I just adored it. So best movies 2018:-
1. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.
2. A Star is Born – Lady GaGa is mesmerising and what a set of pipes co-star Bradley Cooper possesses.
3. Bohemian Rhapsody – Freddie comes back with all his strut with Rami Malek almost as mesmerising as the Lady.
4. The Shape of Water – an odd fish of a movie, but wonderful with Sally Hawkins and Michael Shannon standouts.
5. Ladies in Black – This Aussie delight took all of us who can remember back to a nostalgic place in time.
6. Custody – Brings to the movies, in sledgehammer fashion, the scourge that is domestic violence.
7. Ladybird – Saoirse Ronan is so unbearably and achingly beautiful in oddball fashion.
8. Tully – a bravura performance from Charlize Theron when all is not how it seems
9. Phantom Thread – ‘Das Boot’s’ Vicky Krieps lights up this 50s fashion house affair with great performances from Daniel Day Lewis and Lesley Manville.
10. The Wife – for Glenn Close revenge is so sweet
The Best of the Rest – Chesil Beach, Film Stars Don’t Die in Liverpool, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, Juliet Naked, The Party, Back to Burgundy, Molly’s Game.